100 People Who Made History – Meet the people who shaped the modern world
From DK Canada
About the book
Where would we be without inventors, philosophers, economists, politicians, explorers, and other "ideas" people? Some of our historical heroes were lone geniuses but many were influenced by other great thinkers and ideas.
Full of true-life stories and famous celebrities, 100 People Who Made History contains all the people you'd expect to find, and plenty that you wouldn't! Inventors and explorers rub shoulders with political leaders, sports stars, and entertainers from all over the world. From Aristotle to Mark Zuckerberg, to Marie Curie to Pele, all areas of culture, history, industry, sports, entertainment, and more are covered. Perfect for book reports, school projects, or anytime reading to satisfy and educate curious minds.
This book has been laying around in our living room since it entered our home. Every now and then either the kids or I grab it and read a page or two. It is interesting to see how much you can learn about people who made history. For example, while reading about Einstein I learned that he developed the theory of lasers which are used today to read CDs, DVDs and barcodes. I knew that he spoke late and that he came out with the theory of relativity and paved the way for the nuclear bomb. But did you know that the knowledge of relativity means the people behind the GPS satellites were able to determine that the clocks on them had to be set at a slower pace so they match the clocks on the receivers back on Earth?
This fun book will give you more information on
- Discoverers like Marco Polo, Ibn Battuta, Christopher Columbus, Galileo Galilei, Isaac Newton, Dmitri Mendeleev, Charles Darwin, Edward Jenner, Louis Pasteur, Joseph Lister, Wilhelm Roentgen, Alexander Fleming, Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, Ernest Rutherford, Watson and Crick, Mary Anning and Mary Leakey.
- Inventors like Cai Lun, Johann Gutenberg, James Watt, Alessandro Volta, Michael Faraday, Charles Goodyear, Levi Strauss, George Eastman, Wallace Carothers, Alexander Graham Bell, thomas Edison, Alfred Nobel, Peter Durand, Clarence Birdseye, Percy Spencer, Ray Kroc, Guglielmo Marconi, John Logie Baird, the Wright brothers, Henry Ford, Steve Jobs & Steve Wozniak, Tim Berners-Lee, and Mark Zuckerberg.
- Thinkers like Confusius, Aristotle, Karl Max, Signmund Freud, Mary Seacole, Mother Teresa, Joan of Arc, Martin Luther King, Gautama Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad, Guru Nanak, Emmeline Pankhurst, Eleanor Roosevelt, Aung San Suu Kyi, and Jane Goodall.
- Leaders like Alexander the Great, Augustus Caesar, Charlemagne, Hatshepsut, Cleopatra, Maria Teresa, Catherine the Great, Queen Victoria, Genghis Khan, Saladin, Martin Luther, Maximilien Robespierre, Simon Bolivar, Vladimir Lenin, Mao Tse-Tung, Fidel Castro, Napoleon Bonaparte, George Washington, Mahatma Gandhi, Deng Xiaoping, Mikhail Gorbachev, and Nelson Mandela.
- as well as people who used their creativity like William Shakespeare, Voltaire, Aleksandr Pushkin, Lu Xun, Virginia Wolf, Thomas Cook, Walt Disney, Leonardo Da Vinci, Auguste Rodin, Vincent Van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, Frida Kahlo, Coco Chanel, David Ogilvy, Ole Kirk Kristiansen, Johann Sebastian Bach, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Ali Akbar Khan, Toru Takematisu, and Elvis Presley.
Part of me wish that this book was thicker and had more people in it. It is fun to discover people who helped shape the world we have today. Another wish I would like to have is to get a Canadian version of this book which would list the Canadians who helped shape the world like Bombardier who created the snowmobile for example. I find that often Canadians have a great impact in history but their names are often forgotten. At the end of the book, you will find other names who top people who made a top contribution in the American and Canadian history. These are great names that do deserve more recognition I find.
If you like history and want to learn more about the names written above, the 100 People Who Made History is a wonderful book for that. It will help you to introduce your kids to people who helped shape the world we know today and make them realize that something a good idea can go a long way. Now, if you excuse me, I will go read another page of this incredible book!
100 People who made History is available at your favorite boosktore, even amazon.ca.
Disclaimer: Thanks to DK Canada for sending me the above mentioned product for review purposes. I was not monetarily compensated for this review. Please note that the review was not influenced by the Sponsor in any way. All opinions expressed here are only my own.