Sunday, March 14, 2010

Old Farmer's Almanac for Kids

Old Farmer’s Almanac for Kids

About the book
Do you know . . .
  • Which part of its body a cricket uses to listen?
  • How many billion plastic bags are used around the world each year?
  • Why all stars are not white, and some can shrink and grow?
 Find the answers to these questions and many more in The Old Farmer’s Almanac for Kids, Volume 3, which also includes. . .
  • “green” pages, featuring energy alternatives, a trash trail, and more
  • articles on stars, sports heroes, weird weather, pets that work, the history of pizza, the origin of chocolate, desert-dwelling animals, and more
  • how to grow a loofah sponge, create a sunflower house, or make a wind chime—plus more
My Thoughts
This little book is packed with interesting information. Imagine my delight to see a few pages about Wilson Bentley – the Snowflake man. We had just learned about him and what he did to show everyone that snowflakes were different from one another. My oldest son immediately reacted when we flipped to that page because he recognized the man.

While reading the Old Famer’s Almanac for Kids, your child will learn about magnets, Jupiter, twisters, sharks, how to beat the heat in the desert, recycling, new sources of energy, stinky plants, sunflowers, beets, and so much more. There is also an interesting article about butter. One of the articles is about a woman who became a well known outdoors person. I’ve read this one to my husband because she was an amazing fisherman (or should I say fisherwoman? *grin*) . But personally I really enjoyed reading about chocolate and pizza. Yum!

As a Christian parent and homeschooler, I want my kids to know that God is behind creation and that He is there for them if needed be. But at the same time, I want them to know that there are other religions and beliefs out there. Consequently, I am not offended when I read about the beliefs of Native Americans about the moon but I know that others might dislike it.

Another thing that I like about the Old Farmer’s Almanac for Kids is that the Editors are willing to hear from parents and teachers including homeschoolers about what we think about the almanac. I think it shows a willingness to listen and to get the almanac better for the years to come.

The website, Almanac4kids.com, also contains interesting facts and information about various things found in the book.

I recommend the Old Farmer’s Almanac for Kids to anyone who has a child who wants to learn more about everything. Not only it would strengthen the things they have already learned but they might discover some fascinating facts about something they didn’t know about.

This review was possible because I received a copy of the Old Farmer’s Almanac for Kids from Quinn/Brein Public Relations.

The Old Farmer’s Almanac for Kids is available everywhere even at amazon.ca and indigo.ca. I even saw it in the magazines area at the Shopper’s Drug Mart.

1 comment:

  1. I admire all that is done and said in the article.

    ReplyDelete