Thursday, December 2, 2010

Putting God Back in the Holidays

Putting God Back in the Holidays –Celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Birthdays, and 12 Other Special Occasions with Purpose
Written by Bill & Penny Thrasher
Published at Moody

Putting God Back in the Holidays About the Book

 

It's the Most Wonderful Time

the of the Year

Instead of the joy-filled celebrations that we build up in our minds, the holidays (pick one, any one) can often become stress-filled, money-draining, joy-less days of the year that we just “want to get through.” And it is by our own volition that we have refused too many times to allow our holiday celebrations to be the spiritual experience they are meant to be.

This book has been conceived and designed over 30 years as Dr. Bill Thrasher has spoken to thousands of people, helping them realize the spiritual battle that surrounds their celebration of the holidays. Littered with practical thoughts, ideas, experiences, and stories, Putting God Back in the Holidays will help you and your family celebrate holidays and birthdays with biblical truth in mind.Instead of the joy-filled celebrations that we build up in our minds, the holidays (pick one, any one) can often become stress-filled, money-draining, joy-less days of the year that we just “want to get through.” And it is by our own volition that we have refused too many times to allow our holiday celebrations to be the spiritual experience they are meant to be.

This book has been conceived and designed over 30 years as Dr. Bill Thrasher has spoken to thousands of people, helping them realize the spiritual battle that surrounds their celebration of the holidays. Littered with practical thoughts, ideas, experiences, and stories, Putting God Back in the Holidays will help you and your family celebrate holidays and birthdays with biblical truth in mind.

Who are Bill & Penny Thrasher?

Bill Thrasher is professor of Bible and Theology at the Moody Graduate School of Chicago’s Moody Bible Institute. He is a frequent speaker for churches and retreats across the country. His experience covers pastoral internships, campus discipleship ministry, singles ministry, and evangelism ministry. Bill and his wife, Penny, live in the Chicago area.

Penny Thrasher was raised in a home given to hospitality and feels privileged to carry on that tradition, especially in hosting large holiday celebrations. She contributed to her husband's book, "Believing God for His Best -- How to Marry Contentment and Singleness." Penny is in her 17th year of home schooling and enjoys serving in their church, being part of a prayer group which supports missionaries, and mentoring younger women. Bill and Penny have three sons, Will, Michael, and David.

My Thoughts

In case you haven’t notice, Christmas is just around the corner.   The decorations and Christmas marketing is up and running since…. October believe it or not.

As much as I love Christmas time, the shopping sprees and high marketing that we receive at the door makes me sick in my stomach sometimes.   Can you believe that certain stores are open all night during the month of December?

In the midst of chaos and trying to find the perfect gift for our loved ones, where does God fit in the picture?   Seriously, stop right now and think about it…    Now think about all the other Holidays during the year.   Is God part of it?   

If you feel disconnected and wonder how you can relax and enjoy Him through the planning of various holidays during the year, Putting God Back in the Holidays is for you.

When I saw the title (and the beautiful cover) I decided that I needed to read this book.   I flipped through most the book but I read the whole section about Christmas and was touched.    I need to remember that God is in the midst of the major holidays we are celebrating and not to forget about him.   Yes family is important but my relationship with my Lord is necessary in my life so I can stay stable through whatever events come to me.

The book covers major holidays like New Year, birthdays, Good Friday and Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas.   It also includes chapters on other important dates like Valentine, St. Patrick, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, Labor Day, Halloween and a few other important ones in the US.   I’m a bit disappointed not to see Canada Day in there as our country is also based on scriptures. 

Nevertheless, the book has great insights on how to include God back in the Holidays we celebrate through a year.  I particularly loved the chapter about Blessing days which is celebrated when a child turns 13 or so.   I wish that I had marked down the Spiritual birthdays of my kids – actually I might have it in my journals I just have to dig in.   But having a special celebration for each of them on the day they trusted Jesus as their Lord and Saviour is a great idea.

I highly recommend this wonderful book to anyone who feel stressed with Holidays and want to discover the true meaning of them.

Putting God Back in the Holidays is available at any bookstore even amazon.ca.

Disclaimer: Thanks to Moody Publisher for sending me the featured product for review purpose. I was not monetarily compensated for this review. Please note that the review was not influenced by the Sponsor in any way. All opinions expressed here are only my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment