Monday, May 30, 2011

MomSense

momsenseMomSense – A common-Sense Guide to Confident Mothering
Written by Jean Blackmer
Published at Revell

About the book

Embrace your instincts!

Do blogs, books, magazines, and well-meaning women in your life have you questioning your mothering intuition? Jean Blackmer is here to tell you that you are the best mom for your children--and you have what it takes to raise them.

With personal stories from real moms and proven, practical advice, MomSense helps you honestly assess your skills, embrace your mothering instincts, and develop your own unique mothering style. Rather than pushing one "right" way to be a mom, this hope-filled book shows you that you can have contentment, joy, and confidence in your role as Mom.

Who is Jean Blackmer?

Jean Blackmer is the publishing manager for MOPS International where she gets to develop books designed specifically for moms of preschoolers. She is also the author of a book for moms of boys, Boy-sterous Living! Celebrating Your Loud and Rowdy Life with Sons, is a regular contributor to MomSense magazine, and has written for other magazines including Guideposts, Thriving Family, Today's Christian Woman, and Christian Parenting Today. She has her masters degree in journalism from the University of Colorado at Boulder and lives in Colorado with her husband, Zane, and their three sons.

My Thoughts

I am sometimes doubting myself.   I was worse when I was younger.  Not being able to make a decision and when you do questioning  yourself about it.   Not fun.   With time I grew a bit more self-confident but when it comes to mothering and homeschooling there are times where I wonder and question myself.   Doubts can play mean tricks with your mind…

The book is divided in three sections.   Section one will help you discover your MomSense.  The second part of the book will help you practice your MomSense in various aspects.    My oldest son will be 10 this summer.   We are going through the double digits now…   With him, I have experienced numerous first things from bringing him home to broke bones.   His siblings (two boys and one girl) will have a more experienced mom.   However, I find that I am experiencing some first with my daughter too!   Still even though I have been a mom for 10 years almost (his birthday is in June), I sense that I still have progress to make in my life.  The author is offering practical tips and tools to develop the elements needed for being successful in motherhood.  Theses elements are patience, respect, consistency, perspective, self-control, calm, joy and love.  The second part of the book is developing each of these elements. 

The third section of the book will guide you to look beyond the MomSense so that you can have a strong marriage, a wonderful parenting partner, find some mentors in your life,  and trusting God with every aspects of your life.  Because let’s admit it, God is in control of everything when you think about it.

Each chapter will also give you an idea of what other moms think about the theme of the chapter, questions to think about once you have read a chapter (hey a good way to do a discussion group with other moms don’t you think?), some experts opinions as well as stories from real-life moms.  I can think of many times when my MomSense kicked in and I was right about something in my kids’ life. But sometimes we are also prone to worry about what others are thinking. This book will help you to develop your self-confidence in the way you are parenting your kids.

I find this book being good for first time moms as well as older moms.   Anyone can use a little bit of encouragement in the way they are parenting their kids.   Don’t hesitate, check out MomSense.

MomSense is available at your favourite bookstore, even amazon.ca.

Disclaimer: This review was possible because the book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. I was not monetarily compensated for this review. Please note that the review was not influenced by the Sponsor in any way. All opinions expressed here are only my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment